Even minor fender-bender type automobile accidents can be disruptive to your day and can make you feel flustered or confused. There are many people involved in the scene, including the other driver or drivers, the police, tow-truck operators, and possibly medical personnel. It's easy to overlook important procedures with all the activity going on. If you get in an automobile accident, remember the following steps:
- Remain calm. You'll be in much more control of the situation with a level head.
- Assess injury. Make sure you and your passengers are okay; if there are injuries, get help as soon as you can. If you are able, move your car from traffic and put on your hazard lights.
- Contact the authorities. Call 911 to report the incident.
- Contact your insurance company. Inform your insurance company about the accident as soon as you can so the claim process gets started early.
- Do not admit fault. Protect yourself legally by only discussing the accident with the police and your insurance company.
- Exchange information with the other driver or drivers involved; this includes insurance information, names and phone numbers of drivers, passengers, and any witnesses.
- If you can, take pictures of the accident to document the scene.
If you've already been in an accident, Eric Canter at Canter Law can help. Please contact Canter Law by calling 561-447-4500for a free consultation. We proudly serve clients in Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Boynton Beach, Palm Beach County, and all of South Florida.