Car Crash FAQs

Injury Attorney Serving Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, Boynton Beach, Palm Beach County & Nearby Areas Of Florida.

Although you can take steps to protect yourself should a car crash occur, nothing can really prepare you for the actual scenario. A vehicle collision is a scary thing to experience, and the aftermath can be isolating and confusing. Florida attorney Eric G. Canter has seen just how devastating these situations are for his clients. He is determined to provide straightforward, clear and honest accident advice to people who come to him for help. For a free evaluation of your case, please call us at 561-447-4500.

Do I have a case?

The only way to know if you have a case is to call our law firm. Attorney Eric Canter will consider the following factors and others to determine if you have an accident claim:

  • Severity of the injury
  • Financial, physical, emotional and mental consequences of the injury
  • The cause of the accident
  • The party responsible for the accident

Finding out if you have a case is completely free. In fact, we don't charge you any fees. Our payment comes in the form of a percentage of any successful recovery of compensation on your behalf.

How much is my claim worth?

Crash claims in FLThere is no way to predetermine claim value. When you meet with Mr. Canter, he can provide a rough approximation of things you may be able to recover damages for, but ultimately, a damages figure is not predictable. Nor can an outcome in your case be predetermined. But Mr. Canter will fight aggressively and skillfully to pursue every last cent you deserve.

How will I pay for my medical bills?

It is vital to get medical care after an accident. Don't delay. Some injuries are not immediately apparent. A physician can make sure any injuries after a crash are diagnosed and treated properly.

In Florida, your Personal Injury Protection coverage – which is part of your auto insurance policy – is designed to pay 80% of your necessary medical costs after a motor vehicle accident, regardless of who caused the accident. Once you reach the maximum amount of coverage, you will have to turn to your health insurance policy or your own funds for any remaining medical needs.

What do I do if I can't pay my medical bills?

Oftentimes PIP coverage is inadequate to pay for all of the medical care you need. If someone else is responsible for the accident that injured you, an experienced attorney like Eric Canter can pursue the full amount of compensation you need and deserve.

What does my PIP coverage pay for?

Personal Injury Protection is your own insurance coverage, meant to pay for medical expenses and replace a portion of lost wages regardless of who caused the crash. In most scenarios, PIP pays for 80 percent of necessary medical treatment up to $10,000 or the limits of your policy. It should also pay up to 60 percent of lost wages caused by the crash.

In recent years, Florida lawmakers amended the law to include emergency and non-emergency stipulations. If your injury is considered a non-emergency medical condition, you may only receive a maximum of $2,500 in benefits.

How much time do I have to visit a doctor?

To be eligible for PIP benefits, you must visit a doctor within 14 days of the date of the injury. It's important to schedule an appointment as soon as possible, even if you feel fine. Certain symptoms may take a few days to manifest.

How long do I have to file a claim?

The timeline for filing injury and accident claims – known as statutes of limitation – vary by the type of case. For motor vehicle accidents resulting in injury, you have 4 years from the date of the accident to file a claim in Florida.

If you are a family member who wants to file a wrongful death claim after losing a loved one in an accident, then you have 2 years from the date of the accident. Mr. Canter can determine if you still have time to file a claim.

What types of things might I be able to win compensation for?

In a successful claim, compensation is awarded for various types of "damages," which may include any of the following:

  • Medical care
  • Ongoing and future medical expenses
  • Loss of wages
  • Pain and suffering

In a consultation with Mr. Canter, you and he can discuss all of the various ways in which the accident has affected your life. Once he gets to know you and how your life has been changed by the injury, he can make a well-informed argument in pursuit of compensation on your behalf. Mr. Canter's clients focus on healing and getting well while he fights aggressively for this compensation.

The driver that hit me was uninsured. What should I do?

Check your policy for uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage is optional in Florida, so not everyone chooses it. If you do have it, your own insurance should cover the costs of injury caused by an uninsured motorist up to your policy limits.

How do I choose the right lawyer?

After a wreck in Boca Raton FLThere are a lot of lawyers in Florida from which to choose. How do you make sure it's the right match? Mr. Canter believes you should first meet with the lawyer to get to know their style and approach. Find out if you'll be able to communicate with the lawyer throughout your case, and make sure the lawyer you are meeting with is the one who will be handling your case. You should also ask the lawyer about their experience and examples of successful case results in the past.

How is your attorney different?

Mr. Canter is completely focused on doing what is right for his clients. Each case is a little different, and Mr. Canter provides the individualized attention that is needed. You can also rely on Mr. Canter for straightforward answers about your case. Mr. Canter knows you are facing a difficult time. You don't need confusing legal jargon when discussing your situation. You need answers. Rely on Mr. Canter for a clear, straightforward discussion of your claim.

What do I do next?

To find out if you have a case, please call our law firm – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – at 561-447-4500. Experienced Boca Raton accident lawyer Eric G. Canter is an aggressive advocate for people from across South Florida.