Take These Steps Immediately
The first thing you should do is obvious – take care of your injuries. Head to a hospital if you need immediately assistant. If your injuries are minor, head to your doctor. Make sure your treating physicians document everything. When you leave the hospital, take home every document and piece of paper that you receive. As soon as you arrive home, scan and photocopy everything.
If you’re able, while at the scene where you slipped and fell or tripped and fell, take photographs of the area where the incident happened. Also, report the incident to the manager or supervisor on duty. An incident report will be most likely be filled out. Demand a copy of it so you can make sure that it accurately represents what took place.
What to Expect From Your Slip and Fall Attorney in Boca Raton
Your Boca Raton slip and fall attorney will likely wish to photograph the scene of your accident. Whatever he or she tells you, listen carefully and heed their advice. The process in Florida for slip and fall accidents is as follows:
The Process of a Florida Slip & Fall/Trip & Fall Incident
- Determining liability: after an incident your attorney’s initial investigation involves determining who was at fault for causing the fall. Your attorney’s investigation of the incident in determining fault may include:
- Obtaining a copy of the incident report, if applicable;
- Taking photographs of your injuries;
- Taking photographs of the scene of the incident;
- Getting witness statements from anyone who saw the incident occur;
Ultimately, determining if the owner and/or operator of the premises was aware of the condition that caused your injuries will go a long way towards determining whether you may be entitled to compensation for your damages.
- Determining damages: Your attorney will investigate both economic and non- economic damages which you may be entitled to after an accident.
- Economic damages include such items as medical expenses you have incurred as a result of your incident, as well as what your doctor may say you need in the future. Other economic damages include your wages you lost from work as a result of the incident, as well as your inability to earn money in the future as a result of the injuries you sustained.
- Non-economic damages: These damages may include compensation for your pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life and/or disfigurement as the result of the injury caused by the negligence of the owner and/or operator of the property.
- Presenting your case: In many cases your attorney will take all of the information about your incident including liability, causation and damages, and forward it to the party or their insurance company of the property owner and/or operator and attempt to settle the case. If the case does not settle, a lawsuit may be filed in which case settlement negotiations may still continue, but if unsuccessful, your case will then be decided by a judge and/or jury.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Attorney in Boca Raton?
If you or someone you know have suffered a slip and fall accident in Boca Raton, give Canter Law a call at 800-830-8386.We are here to help you. Your call is absolutely free – there’s no reason to wait