Upon getting into a car accident, most people are unsure what actions to take first. After catching your breath, the following steps are recommended to ensure you get the best results from the incident.
- Stay at the scene and call the police department immediately. If an officer comes to the scene and investigates, he/she will file a report.
- Obtain all information about the person(s) involved in the crash, including their name, address, and insurance information.
- Be sure to note the name and phone numbers of any witnesses from the incident.
- If you’re injured, go to the emergency room immediately to be examined by a physician. Make sure any injury is documented and photographed.
- If possible, take pictures of the vehicles involved in the collision and any marks or damages (i.e. skid marks) that were caused.
- Notify your insurance company but do NOT give a recorded or written statement without speaking to a personal injury attorney first.
Each of these tips is an essential component in recovering from an accident. Although car accidents are sometimes unavoidable, issues that may arise in the aftermath can be avoided if they are handled quickly and responsibly. By taking each of these necessary steps, you are protecting yourself and making the process go faster, smoother, and securing the best outcome.