Doing and not doing certain things following a car accident may ultimately prove very beneficial should you decide to pursue maximum injury compensation. Each case is unique, and while the following tips generally apply to every case, you can always contact the law firm of Eric Canter for an individualized assessment of your situation.
So you were hurt in a recent accident. What should you do now? Here are a few general tips that are most often a good idea in the days following a crash:
- Notify your insurance company. As soon as possible, call your insurance company to report the accident. Be honest and truthful about what happened. Give them the facts and a thorough accounting.
- Obtain a copy of the police report. If a report was made, you should be able to obtain a copy. You can use it when speaking to your insurance company and your attorney.
- Document all medical treatments. Keep a journal with a list of all of the treatments you received and appointments you went to. Also write down the names of any doctors, specialists or other healthcare providers you visited. If you were referred to a certain physician by another physician, write this information down.
- Don't talk to any other insurance company. If you are contacted by the other driver's insurance company, or any other insurance company that is not your own, be polite but do not discuss your accident. Instead, let the caller know that they should contact your insurance company or your attorney. Get the name of the person who contacted you. The only time you should speak with someone other than the police, your attorney or your insurance company is if your attorney recommends it.
- Proceed with caution if you are offered an early settlement. You want to make sure that any payment to you adequately and fairly pays for your medical expenses. As your injuries develop and manifest, you might not know the full extent of your expenses. An early offer may not be enough.
On a final note, you should consult our attorney as soon as possible. Eric Canter will be your aggressive and experienced advocate. It costs nothing to receive a consultation, and you don't pay anything unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf, in which case Mr. Canter's fees come from a percentage of that recovery. He will fight tirelessly to pursue every last cent you need and deserve.
Your free case evaluation is an opportunity to find out if you have a claim and what Mr. Canter can do for you. We have multiple offices across South Florida, including Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale. Mr. Canter has decades of experience fighting on behalf of accident victims, and you can rely on him for honest, straightforward answers about your claim. For your free consult, please call Canter Law South Florida Injury Lawyers at 561-447-4500.